The Heritage Garden is situated behind the museum in Frederick’s vibrant, historic downtown. When visiting this secluded walled oasis, guests are immediately taken back in time. Guests may:
- take a self-guided tour of the garden
- enjoy reading a children’s story from the Loats Little Library Box
- visit the medicinal “Physic Garden”
- get married or celebrate a milestone event
- enjoy an ice cream social on a hot summer day
- celebrate the year’s successes with colleagues or club members
- hold corporate meetings or retreats
- attend lectures and museum sponsored special events
- view the engraved bricks along our pathways and purchase your own Commemorative Bricks to add to the Walk of Remembrance
- escape the downtown bustle for a quiet retreat or lunch break
The Heritage Garden was designed and planted by the Garden Club of Frederick in 1961. Originally the space extended beyond the current brick walls and included a large side garden area. The garden underwent major changes in 2001 to improve accessibility. Recent grants supported further renovations in 2020, and several garden spaces were re-imagined to enhance educational programming and create a more attractive outdoor space for public and private events.
The landscape of the Heritage Garden is enhanced by historical and artistic objects which bring the Heritage Frederick museum outdoors.
With our recent redesign of the garden, we have created a lovely yet versatile space for rest and relaxation.
The Heritage Garden is a welcoming, inclusive, restorative space that is lovingly maintained by the volunteer Heritage Garden Guild.
Thank you to the Community Foundation of Frederick County, The Don Doughty-Linda Moran Urban Garden Fund and the Mary Gregg Cornish Memorial Fund for their generous support.
Volunteer for the Heritage Garden
The Heritage Garden Committee is supported by our Garden Guild, a group of dedicated volunteers with various skill sets who help out with a variety of garden-related tasks. Volunteers are celebrated during an annual reception in the garden. The Garden Guild assists with:
- routine garden maintenance
- marketing, publicity and newsletters
- carpentry and repair skills
- website design and maintenance
- educational signage design
- creating and/or leading garden tours
- assisting with educational programming
- support for rental events and garden-based programs
Sign up to be a volunteer. Create your own hours or show up for scheduled work days.
We have enjoyed wonderful support from our community since we launched our garden renovation and restoration efforts in 2018. Several grant awards, proceeds from our Commemorative Brick Program, discounts from local merchants and service providers, and our wonderful Garden Guild volunteers have aided our garden renovation efforts.
The Community Foundation of Frederick County, The Garden Club of Frederick, Poole’s Stone and Garden, Frederick County Landmarks Foundation, Schifferstadt Architectural Museum, The Frederick News Post Community Garden, Bartlett, Hartman Roofing, Inc., Mark Palmquist Design, Curious Iguana, and Catfish Designs.