Walking Tour Guide
Heritage Frederick seeks a part-time/seasonal (approx. 4-10 hours a month) Walking Tour Guide to provide educational and historically themed tours for visitors of all ages. The Walking Tour Guide will primarily work April through October when tours are scheduled. The Walking Tour Guide works closely with the public and the Heritage Frederick’s staff and volunteers. Established in 1892, Heritage Frederick (the Historical Society of Frederick County) is accredited by the American Alliance of Museums (AAM) and operates the Museum of Frederick County History, Roger Brooke Taney House, and Frederick County Archives and Research Center, and offers educational public programs throughout the year.
- Guide children and adults through Frederick’s Historic District, both on foot (walking tours), and on bus (step-on tours).
- Teach visitors the history of Frederick County and how it fits into important events in the nation’s history.
- Make the city an open and welcome place where people of all ages can come to learn the story of Frederick County.
- Encourage visitors to continue to explore Frederick County’s past through services offered by the Heritage Frederick.
- Attend all meetings or training sessions called by the Program & Education Manager.
- Represent the Heritage Frederick while giving tours or attending other functions.
Hours: Guides are expected to give a 90 minute tour (some tours are 60 minutes) of the Historic District of Frederick, on regularly scheduled weekends, evening tours, step-on tours and weekday scheduled school/group tours (Wednesday-Friday). Guides are additionally expected to arrive 30 minutes before the tour is scheduled to start.
- Candidates should possess a high school diploma
- A desire to learn and share Frederick County history with other people.
- Able to speak English, loudly and clearly for a group of 30 people.
- Able to stand and walk (sometimes on uneven ground) for at least 90 minutes.
- Able to work in hot, cold and sometimes wet weather conditions.
- Able to work as a team member and independently.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume in PDF file to Jennifer Winter, Program & Education Manager, at email@example.com. Applications are due by March 18, 2018. No Phone Calls Please.